This information is aimed at patients who are attending the department for a research appointment. If you have any questions, then please either call your study co-ordinator directly. Alternatively, use the get in touch page.
The cardiac research department is now open! We are restarting research into non covid projects and our team are now able to see research patients onsite. Patient information is available below.
Whether you are one of our existing or new patients, you may find attending the hospital a little different to before. We have put some extra measures in place to keep you safe and have described them here to help you get familiar with them before your appointment.
Before your appointment
- If you are a new research patient we will offer you a video appointment to “meet” the team without their facemasks and PPE before you come for the first time
- Up to 24 hours before attending the department for a research appointment a member of the team will telephone you to complete a coronavirus assessment questionnaire
- We will offer you a complimentary taxi to and from the appointment (and a facemask to wear for your journey) so that you do not need to use public transport
- We encourage you to be well hydrated before you come as we will not be offering refreshments to reduce opportunities for transmission
During your appointment
- We ask all our patients to enter the hospital through the St Mark’s entrance. Please do not walk through the main hospital (Patient map)
- A member of the team will meet you at the entrance and escort you directly to the research clinic room. They will also escort you back to the exit after your appointment
- Our team will be wearing PPE (facemasks, visors, aprons and gloves) and will maintain social distancing as much as possible. They will need to come closer if they need to take measurements from you such as blood pressure etc.
After Attending the department for your appointment
- On returning home we encourage you to change your clothes and wash the ones you wore to your appointment
The team are always available by telephone and email (Monday – Friday 9am-5pm) in between appointments if you have any questions. The COVID-19 pandemic is an ever changing situation. We will continually assess ahead of each visit whether it is safe and necessary for you to come onsite. Where possible we will review you by telephone or video appointment. We hope this patient information has been useful.